Friday, January 30, 2009

The longest day of my life...well one of them!

Yesterday was such a long day (hence, why this post is:). Spencer was scheduled to have surgery at 2pm, so we arrived just after 1pm. His dr. was running behind so they told us his surgery would be pushed back to 4:30pm...and we thought that was bad! It then got pushed to 6:30pm and 8:30pm (about this time we were so tired of watching tv). I was so frusterated at this point because nobody came and told us anything. Same day surgery was pretty much shut down and our nurse had left, so I had to roam the floor for someone to talk to and I was not happy (which usually isn't like me). After finding someone at 8:30pm, I found out that the person just before Spencer had just went in for surgery and his procedure was suppose to last 2 hours. Holy cow! Poor Spencer hadn't eaten anything until Wednesday night. I felt so bad for him. Well he went into surgery at 10:30pm. I kept myself busy reading my textbook on all the info I had planned to read that day. Spencer got out of surgery just after midnight. I didn't like what I saw when I walked into the recovery room. He was so pale and shivering like crazy. The nurses had his blankets around his waist so they could see his respirations. I was thinking...come on~he can have his blankets up around him, so I moved them. You can still count respirations just as easy. His heart rate was also really low. Normal heart rate is between 60-100 and I realize he was just sedated, but his heart rate was in the low 40's. It wasn't something I liked to see and when I mentioned it to the nurse, she agreed and called the anestiologist (shouldn't that have been a no brainer? Seriously, it's sad). His temperature was also pretty low so they kept him over night. It was a long frusterating process. I am so glad I am in nursing school. I can see why SlCC is such a good program. Now, maybe I won't complain about it as much. I felt like I really knew my stuff. It definitely made me see what some of them were doing wrong and I didn't like that, so I always said something. I am usually a doormat, but I guess when it comes to my husband, I don't take no crap! It's crazy how I can be with patients all day who are sick, but seeing Spencer like that was no fun to me! Anyway, I am going to pick him up this morning!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it crazy that you don't think you are learning something, but then when something happens, you say hey that's not right this is the way... Well, sounds like everything turned out o.k. I would've wished you luck, but didn't read the first post. School is going good for me...sounds like it's not kicking your butt too much. :) Hope you two get up to speed soon! Hopefully it won't happen again! Take care!

Jamie Ortega said...

What a horrible day for both Spencer and you! I hope recovery goes well. Good luck with school!

Hodges Family said...

Jess i am so sorry that sucks bad but I am glad you know your stuff because it really seems like a nurse makes all the differnce!

Lacey said...

Thank goodness you know your stuff! Poor Spencer! When I had surgery the second time I didn't eat from 2pm to like 5pm the next day and it was seriously the suckiest thing ever so I really feel for that guy. Let us know how he's doing.

Halfords said...

I'm so sorry guys! That was no fun. I hope he's feeling better today

Josh and Brittany said...

Im so happy to see that you are a blogger too! How are you?