Sunday, June 21, 2009

What has the world come to?

Friday night Spencer and I thought we would jump in the truck and head to Smiths to get a Redbox movie. We also brought Pays and Chade along~they needed out of the house as well. We pull into the parking lot and a kid, maybe 18, came up to our window. We rolled it down and he asked if our dogs were shih tzus. He then told us about his shih tzu and even showed us a picture off his phone. After chatting about how great the dogs are, he tells us in a nonchalant way, that his car ran out of gas down the road just a little bit ago and he's trying to gather up change to help him out. It seemed harmless and we gave him a buck. Then seconds after this kid left, a Smith's worker came to our window and asked if he was asking for money. He then proceeded to tell us that kid has been there all day doing it and he then went and told him to leave. We then watched him walk across the street to Albertsons where I'm guessing he did it there. Being the natural detective that I am, I said lets go see if his car is where he said it was. Well, nope, and thank goodness we were only out a buck. It is so sad how some people go to extreme measures in these difficult times. I guess that's when you tell the true measure of a person.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had something similar happen to me. Get this...I was walking out of Fred Meyer and a car full of kids pulled in front of me and stopped asking me for money for gas. Not only were they DRIVING around asking for money for gas, but all of them were smoking!!!! HELLO!!! Quit buying smokes and put gas in your car!!! Luckily I didn't give them anything, because I'm not kind with that stuff :/ Sorry about your mishap.

Halfords said...

When I worked on Temple Square there was always this one lady on the corner. She was there everyday. And all the tourists would give her money. I felt like telling people how she was there everyday. In fact, years later the same lady is STILL on that same corner. Sad.