Monday, August 17, 2009

After 1 month of agony...

I am employed! What a journey this has been. When I first started nursing school, we were told that getting a job was EASY and that there would be sign on bonuses, etc. etc. etc! Well with this economy, luck was definitely not on our side. It has been really hard for us nursing grads to find jobs. All the hospitals won't hire anyone unless they have atleast ONE year of experience. Did I say hospitals? I meant everyone! When people would ask about the current situation, I would tell them that AND everyone would say Well, how can you get experience if no one will hire you?! EXACTLY! My testimony definitely has grown even more within this last month. Trials definitely make a person stronger. Anyway, I prayed one morning and decided to look on the internet for jobs and out of the blue I came across one and it just had an email to contact. I emailed my resume and cover letter and the lady wrote back to tell me she received it. That was back in June, I think. After I passed my NCLEX, I had a feeling to email them again, but to tell them I passed the NCLEX and was now registered. They emailed me back and said they would send it to Corporate. Then the Nurse Manager called me for an interview and when I went in, I got the job! So exciting! I am now an RN for Highland Ridge Hospital. It is a psych facility. I love when I tell people that because for some reason they picture it a 100 times worse than it is. It isn't. Infact, it will be an awesome job. My patients will consist of substance abusers, rehabers, and people with depression, eating disorders, etc. We even get celebrities since there are only 4 of these hospitals in the U.S. Pretty cool! I am starting out on graveyard, so it'll be easier to learn. The nurse manager said she wants to train me to become the Charge nurse, way cool! This has definitely been a blessing in disguise! I absolutely loved my psych class and clinicals, but it wasn't my first choice of work. The Lord knew what was best for me at this time though. I know I will definitely learn and grow in this field. It is amazing and the starting pay is over $5.00 more than anywhere else! I am very thankful for this opportunity! I am so ready for what lies next in our lives! It is such an amazing time for us AND Spencer couldn't be more thrilled. Infact, I think he said my new job definitely makes the last two years worth it! Should I be worried he said it with a smirk on his face, lol?!

2 comments:

Halfords said...

Congrats Jess! That's so exciting!!

Lacey said...

Busy girl! I have to get a mole removed on Friday. Totally NOT looking forward to it. I'm crossing my fingers it doesn't hurt!